Selenium is a vital essential trace element and an integral component of more than 25 enzymes. It is involved in several important bodily functions including maintaining normal immune system function, protecting cells from oxidative damage, thyroid function and keeping hair and nails healthy.
Most selenium in natural food products comes in the form of selenomethionine. Selenomethionine has an absorption rate of approximately 90% and is better absorbed than inorganic forms.In the body, selenomethionine can be incorporated into proteins such as the amino acid methionine.
Health Benefits of Selenium According to the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)
Selenium contributes to:
- Protection of cells against oxidative stress
- Normal function of the immune system (physical defense)
- Normal thyroid function
- Normal spermatogenesis (formation of sperm cells)
- Maintenance of normal hair
- Maintenance of normal nails