Berberine is an alkaloid found in high concentrations in the roots of the barberry (Berberis aristata). Barberry is a shrub native to India, Pakistan and Bhutan and is also commonly found in Europe as an ornamental shrub.
Barberry has a long tradition of use in Indian, Chinese and European herbalism and has been the focus of intense research for several years due to its diverse range of effects. In particular, numerous clinical trials, as well as animal studies, have examined the effect of berberine on liver metabolism and the immune system.
1. Adriana M, Neag M, Bocsan IC, et al (2019) Effects of Berberis vulgaris Extract on Lipid Profile, Kidney and Liver Function in Experimental Dyslipidemia. Revista de Chimie -Bucharest- Original Edition-. https://doi.org/10.37358/RC.19.2.6968
2. Tahmasebi M, Sadeghi H, Nazem H, Kokhdan EP, Omidifar N (2018) Hepatoprotective effects of Berberis vulgaris leaf extract on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. J Educ Health Promot. https://doi.org/10.4103/jehp.jehp_48_17
3. Kashkooli R, Najafi S, Sharif F, Hamedi A, Asl M, Kalyani M, Birjandi M (2015) The Effect of Berberis Vulgaris Extract on Transaminase Activities in Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Hepat Mon.
4. Qin X, Guo BT, Wan B, Fang L, Lu L, Wu L, u. a. Regulation of Th1 and Th17 Cell Differentiation and Amelioration of Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis by Natural Product Compound Berberine. J Immunol. 1. August 2010;185(3):1855–63
5. Yang L, Liu G, Liang X, Wang M, Zhu X, Luo Y, u. a. Effects of berberine on the growth performance, antioxidative capacity and immune response to lipopolysaccharide challenge in broilers. Anim Sci J. September 2019;90(9):1229–38
6. Imanshahidi M, Hosseinzadeh H. Pharmacological and therapeutic effects of Berberis vulgaris and its active constituent, berberine. Phytother Res. August 2008;22(8):999–1012